Gunner

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:13:25 -0600, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

This is indeed quite true. Until I got my 5hp rotary..I was running
all my (then, very few) machines on a single 5hp VFD. Oddly enough the
old Clausing 6525 would leave a slight herringbone pattern on one
direct drive speed setting. I had assumed it was something worn in the
headstock. When I went to the RPC..the pattern vanished. I then
swapped back and forth and indeed, it was the VFD. None of the other
machines exhibited this phenom, including the surface grinder, which
gives the same finish either way.

Odd - I haven't seen that on my VFD-powered 5914, but then I rarely use the
VFD for speed control and it's almost always at 60 Hz. Does the 6525 have
the hydraulic vari-speed system (like the 5914) or step pulleys?

Nope..its a gear head with a two speed motor and 4 speed gear box. I
believe the top speed is direct drive.

The 1501 I replaced it with is hydraulic vari-drive, with 3 gear box
speeds, the top speed being direct drive.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas