Kruppt

On 2004-12-12, charlie b wrote:
Kruppt wrote:
Yes it is real sycamore. The locals here call it sycamore maple.
I did a search, and the sycamore maple pics I saw, do not resemble it at all.
This tree is a real sycamore, sorry for the confusion.
The color and grain of my lumber looks very much like the
pic in the below link. I have not used lacewood myself yet,
but the local hardwood supplier has some, and I have seen
what it looks like. I have not looked through all the boards
closely yet as it has been raining.
I did not see much that looked like lacewood. I did
see a few small areas that looked similar, but not whole
boards, or very large areas. I'm still glad I sawed the lumber
as the grain is very pretty. Here this tree is very
abundant, as it is very wet here, it is considered a "trash tree"
by most here. If I had known the grain looked as it does,
I would have salavaged many of these trees in the past,
and will do so in the future. A neighbor cut down a very
large one, and left the main section of the tree on the ground to
rot away. The trunk is something like 4' diameter.

http://www.sustainablelumber.com/eba...12-11Gsyc2.jpg

Looks like what I know to be Sycamore. Sawn wet it
looks orange but the color goes away as it dries. Here's
some images of it - a few pics with the very distinctive
bark.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/SentinalSawing.html

Third image on this page, lower right board is QS sycamore
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...geShelves.html
With this lacewood figure, the board was not inexpensive.

Handle of the bow saw is sycamore from The Sentinal Tree
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/BowSaw.html

In flat sawn form, this stuff can have less than attractive
gray grain in it.

charlie b

The limbs of the tree I have started sawing
look exactly like the limb sections you
show in the pictures. The color is the same also.
Interesting story there on the Sentinal tree by the way.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/WoodsDetail.jpg

The QS sycamore lumber in the above pic, looks to be
brown/tan, compared with my lumber, and the wood
from the Sentinal sycamore. I wonder why this is? Has this board
been exposed to sunlight? Any info you can share on this?
I like the color in this board too.
Good looking Bow Saw. I appreciate you posting this info.
A light-bulb went on when I realized after reading and looking at the pics,
that the new growth wood (logettes as you called them) the medular ray
patterns could be produced from them also. I shall experiment with logettes
from the limbs to find the "best" cutting angles to the grain to produce
the desired visual results, before cutting into the remaining logs.

Thanks,
Kruppt