Ba r r y

On 12 Dec 2004 22:19:03 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
wrote:

I think of poplar baseboards, door trim and chair rail and I
think ot bumps and dents. Window trim, fine, crown molding fine. Elsewhere, not
so fine.

So was I.

A "library" to me means lots of shelf edges and bases with shaped
edges and crisp corners exposed to vacuum cleaner tools, chairs, kids,
the occasional idiot with a step ladder, etc...

I also like the wood I'm going to touch to have a solid feel. For
some reason, poplar always feels hollow, like basswood with grain, to
me. Denser woods, like maple and birch feel more like real cherry
when you tap or knock on them.

Barry