TURTLE

"Noah Vail" wrote in message
My significant other is absolutely right about almost everything. So much so,
that I am almost doubting myself on this issue.

Here is the problem...

When I bring firewood into the house, I first make a small pile, of about four
logs, by my back door. I make this little stack by the door so that I can
have quick access to the logs when the fire requires replenishing. It saves
me the time of putting on my shoes to walk the extra 10 steps to the wood pile
and pulling back the tarp that covers the wood. The trouble, as my S.O. sees
it, is that the logs leave crumbs of wood on the asphalt driveway which
connects to the concrete foundation outside my back door, will cause termites
to invade our house. The only wooden part of my house that is close to it is
a painted wooden door frame.

Now granted, you aren't supposed to store wood or have mulch close to your
house, but it is my belief is that these little pieces of wood are absolutely
and positively no danger of "attracting" termites. Heck, the wood pile is ten
steps away! Why wood... errr... would they bother with these little bits of
dry wood when they have so many other sources of moist wood all around us?
Heck... I live in the forest! sigh

Anyway... do any of you see any harm from leaving crumbs of wood... or even a
log of wood outside my back door?

TIA
Noah

This is Turtle.

Termites don't like wood off the ground or not enclosed which will leave them
expossed to other insects or birds. If they have to go into a open space before
going back in the gound . they will not do it for it's too dangerous to do so.

A few pieces of wood on a drive way has no bearing on termites to be drown to
it.

If termites are in your area. What you do with the fire wood has very little
bearing if you keep it off the ground and the termites have to come out in the
opening to get to it. If you live in a forest your odds are very good of not
getting them for they eat moist wood and if your house wood is dry. Your not a
very good meal for them. Now after I tell you this the termites will change
their mine and start eating dry wood of your home. they will eat pine ,
hardwood, or others but one wood they don't like and that is what we call rich
liter pine. The pine trees that the old old house was made out of. If you go in
your attic and see sap dripping out of the rafters. They will not touch it. Most
houses built over 80 years ago will have this liter pine in them.

Now there is one type of termite that has hit the U.S.A. now days and started in
Florida and has been seen as far as Louisiana and they are Non-Ground type
termites and never have to go to the ground everyday to go back to the nest.
They will go to your attic and just stay there and never go back to the ground.
They fly into your attic or home and are not ground type termites. I'm not clear
on them for my bug man who sprays my house was telling me about them and he said
they have not got the pattern they like as of not to get rid of them.

I'm not a termite expert at all but i listen to my termite / Roach pest control
man. He has them pegged when keeping them out of my house and I have fire wood
everywhere around my house. He says keep it off the ground.

TURTLE