On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 01:24:14 GMT, "jeff"
wrote:

I recently moved into a townhouse. I'm finding roughly 2 wasps per week
inside the house, and almost always they are found in the living room.
There is a fireplace in the living room, and I believe they are coming in
through the chimney flue of the fireplace. After suspecting this, I opened
the flue cover one time, to see if there was any activity there, and a wasp
came in. I think it's reasonable to assume this is where they are coming
from. There does not seem to be any other place that they would be likely
to come in through. I normally keep the cover to the flue closed, but there
are 2 small gaps in the cover they could fly in through.

I have not used the fireplace since I moved in. The flue to this fireplace
appears to be a metal duct. Would simply starting up a fire in the
fireplace be a good way to solve this problem? If starting a fire isn't the
solution, then what do you recommend?

Thanks,

J.

IMHO:

Now without ever looking at the situation personally and going on what
you said, I would guess one situation that could be happening. You
have a nest inside or very-very near your chimney. Since it is
possible the nest is in the chimney starting a fire could result in
smoke damage in your house. Plus if the nest is small enough not to
smoke you out, if it catches fire chimneys are to draft smoke not to
hold flames.

I would recommend if you find a good pest service to kill off the
creatures and a good chimney service to clean and inspect your
fireplace.

Good Luck with your adventures....

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com