Tony Eva

tez wrote:
[IKEA worktop depth]

Just (today) finished fitting worktops in my new IKEA kitchen, so I know
about this problem.

The standard IKEA base unit + door works out to be exactly 60cm deep, so
if you don't mind the visual effect of the worktop edge being flush with
the doors, you can use B&Q, Homebase, Wickes etc worktops. However as
has been pointed out, this leaves you with nothing to play with in the
event of having uneven walls.

IKEA's own worktops are actually 60.6cm wide, to give a 6mm overhang.

If, however, you want a bigger overhang, or have very uneven walls, you
will need to find wider worktops. The solution I found was to get 65cm
worktop from a local kitchen supplier, and saw it down to the 62cm I
wanted (not hard with a circular saw but bl**dy dusty!) - job done. The
downside was that the local supplier was nowhere near as cheap as the
sheds - about three times the price per metre, in fact.

Incidentally, I put 60cm Homebase worktop on an IKEA base unit in my
utility room and it looks fine - I just wanted the kitchen ones to
overhang a bit.

I'd give you the name of my supplier but I'm nowhere near Leeds or
Bradford. However 65cm worktop seems to be a standard product, any
kitchen place should be able to source it.

--
Tony