Ed Sirett

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 09:00:44 -0800, Medallion Man wrote:

Recently I needed a compression slip coupler to replace some CH
pipework in a relly confined space with zero slack in the pipes
themselves and too much heat-sensitive stuff nearby to allow my limited
soldering skills to be used. A long (repair-type) slip coupler would
not have worked because there wasn't enough of a straight pipe run to
put it on. I ended up taking a normal straight compression coupler to
an engineering shop and asked them to remove the pipe stop on a lathe.

Isn't there *anyone* who stocks simple straight compression slip
couplers ? Seems to me there'd be a ready market for them for use in
tight spots.

I was surprised not to find them in the BES catalogue. I'm fairly sure
that slip couplings are available as Endfeed solder fittings.

I've not tried it but drilling out the stop in the fitting out to 15mm
should be fairly straight forward.

When I'm forced with this situation I've found that with careful
cutting of the lengths of the pipe you only need the insertion depth
for one side, approx.
You put the back nuts and olives on first and then get the fitting on.
Then carefully arrange the slack to be split between each side.
There should be enough pipe past each olive to get a good reliable join.

If there is absolutely no slack whatsoever then, as happened to me a year
or two ago you have to go right around with 4 of elbows.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk