James Sweet

"Andy Cuffe" wrote in message
On 08 Dec 2004 19:23:31 -0500, Sam Goldwasser
wrote:

The sample I have drives both the magnetron high voltage and filament
from the same transformer. I would think this is hard on the magnetron
at moderate power where the filament isn't as hot as it should be but
perhaps it's not a big issue.

The best microwave design I've seen is an Amana from the late 70. It
has a separate filament transformer, so it can modulate the HV at
something like 1 Hz while keeping the filament hot. This is fast
enough to stop things from exploding/boiling over while the magnetron
is on. It's the only microwave I've had where the low power levels
were actually useful. It also has to be easier on the magnetron.
Andy Cuffe

Those old Amanas were great, wouldn't mind having one now even, nice
stainless cavity, metal control panel, really slick.