effi

"Lets Play Two" wrote in message
Hi Folks:

I've never laid down vinyl tile but my lady friend has asked me to do this
for her kitchen sometime in Jan/Feb.

She has old vinyl tile in her kitchen. Probobly will just lay down new
vinyl tile rather than ceramic. Is there a decent web-site that shows
how
to do this?

Now for some questions after visiting home depot yesterday:

1. They have the self-sticking vinyl tile as well as the non-sticking
vinyl
which requires the tile paste. Which is the best tile to get? The
self-sticking tile seems easier/cheaper to install but I have to wonder if
using the paste along with the non-sticking tile will produce better
results?

2. If going with the non-sticking tile, what is the best glue/adhesive to
use?

3. Home depot rents out an electric tile remover for $48 per day. Does
anyone have experience with these that can tell me if this is worth
getting
rather than using a hand-scraper to remove the tile?

thanks for any advice!!!

self stick vinyl floor tiles work fine when installed in a properly prepared
area - consult tile manufacturer for installation instructions

some cracks will be more visible than others when using squares and they
"set"

if you don't want any cracks, use one large piece of vinyl

do you know if the existing vinyl tile has asbestos in it?

some of the stuff from the 70s era did

have it removed by someone qualified to remove asbestos tile if you're gonna
remove it

some simply put new (non asbestos) tile on top of old asbestos tile rather
than have to deal with properly removing it, the advisability of doing that
is unknown

a hint on installation of tile squares: if it's a small area, tiles laid on
the diagonal (instead of the square) make a small room look larger