davefr

The first oil change should be done in just a few hours use to drain
inpurities from the manufacturing process. (metal shavings, dirt,
abrasives, extra nuts and bolts, lunch bags, etc)

After that, change oil in the fall right before it hibernates for the
winter. Use synthetic oil because these small engines need all the
lubrication help they can get. (Redline is a good choice due to the
healthy dose of Moly)

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 17:59:45 -0500, Taylor
wrote:

I purchased my lawn mower (6.5 hp B&S engine) new in September. I
only needed to use a few short times to mow the front yard before
the first freeze came. Since the engine has hardly been used
much I was contemplating skipping the first seasonal oil change
this fall. Will this be ok for the engine? I like to keep the
oil clean but it seem silly to change it so soon.

I will run the gas tank dry as soon as I can get a decent day to
do it here.

Thanks!