Toby

Default mains water pipe diameter - want a bigger one

Lobster wrote:
As it happens I need to do this myself soon; and have been scratching
my head over the specs diagram I've just received from the water co.
It shows the MDPE pipe coming through the wall, minimum 750mm below
ground, sheathed in another pipe as you describe. However, it
stipulates that the min radius of the sheathed pipe is 750 mm! ie, as
drawn, it must come up through the kitchen floor at least 750mm from
the outside wall! This bears no resemblance to any installation I've
ever seen, and makes no sense to me at all. Can anyone shed some
light on this???

The pipe is not that bendy but will go much tighter than a 750mm radius. Try
a piece, it's quite obvious where the kink point starts.
The water contractors won't be that bothered so it really is up to you how
you route the pipe within your property. Make sure it is all loose when they
turn up so they can feed it into the outside stopcock easily.

You could fit a 90 bend after it enters the wall or start the bend further
out so that it enters the wall already at an incline.
The sheathing pipe can be anything handy, an offcut of basin waste or cable
duct and is only needed for the bit actually in the wall.

My contractors thought my (exactly to spec) deep trench quite funny as the
main was only 400mm deep in the street.

--
Toby.