jeff

Default Wasps coming in through chimney flue

I recently moved into a townhouse. I'm finding roughly 2 wasps per week
inside the house, and almost always they are found in the living room.
There is a fireplace in the living room, and I believe they are coming in
through the chimney flue of the fireplace. After suspecting this, I opened
the flue cover one time, to see if there was any activity there, and a wasp
came in. I think it's reasonable to assume this is where they are coming
from. There does not seem to be any other place that they would be likely
to come in through. I normally keep the cover to the flue closed, but there
are 2 small gaps in the cover they could fly in through.

I have not used the fireplace since I moved in. The flue to this fireplace
appears to be a metal duct. Would simply starting up a fire in the
fireplace be a good way to solve this problem? If starting a fire isn't the
solution, then what do you recommend?

Thanks,

J.