James Sweet

"Tom" wrote in message
James Sweet stated so wisely:

Using a flyback "ring tester" essentially injects a signal and counts

the
number of times an inductor resonates. A shorted turn will kill this
resonation very quickly.

Ahhh...I don't have that kind of equipment, as you've probably guessed.

If you ever start repairing more TV's and stuff you can pick one up for
under $50, they're pretty simple instruments.

Should be ok with a DC ohms test though.

And what Ohm range should a good flyback be?

Flyback? I thought we were talking about yokes? You generally can't test a
flyback with an ohm meter, good ones are all over the map.

QUESTION: Is there a chance that this gun might be low on fluid?
I apologize for not knowing the proper term for this component. Could you
please correct me on the nomenclature?

The CRT could be low on coolant, but that'd be easy to check by just peering
down the lense with a flashlight, if it's low it should be obvious.

I do have a scope(although not very versed on it's usage), is there
something I could check that will narrow this down quickly with it?

Not really, a scope is only useful if you know what to expect so you can
compare it to what you see.