Gunner

On 12 Dec 2004 14:57:31 GMT, (GMasterman) wrote:

I have a similar problem as mentioned in an earlier post. The nib the that
sticks up into the bore of my tailstock and keeps the barral from rotating is
all but worn away. Been considering how to tackle a repair. Been thinking of
cutting a notch in the front edge of the tailstock and brazing in a new nib to
fit the groove in the barrel. Any of you ever do this repair? I've always
wondered how the origional was made because the barrel could not be bore with
this nib in place and there is no sign that it is replaceable.

If you clean the paint away, you may find that the nib was pressed in
from the outside. An easy repair is to drill a hole in the proper
place, tap for a setscrew (diameter depends on the groove width) and
machine the proper nib on the end of a setscrew, then screw it in with
a bit of loctite to keep it from ever moving. Drill out the original
plug in nib (which I believe is called a "feather" in the old books.

Many machines use this method both on the tailstock and on the
headstock for 5c collet key. This makes it simple to install, and will
allow you to adjust the depth as wear occurs. Hardinge uses this on
their spindle noses as a single example.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas