Henry Q. Bibb

In article ,
says...
I have a little project upcoming that will want some nice stained wood
bits. I don't need to match any existing wood bits, just need to get a
dark, rich-looking, slightly reddish finish on a few drawer faces. My
local HD stocks poplar and maple. Poplar is less-expensive.

First project I ever made was Poplar. It worked easily enough,
but I remember being disappointed with the appearance - too bland.
Until I put the stain on it... Livened it up really nicely.
I just went & looked at it again - still looks good to me.

YMMV,
Henry