Ed Huntress

"Callum Finlayson" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I'm looking for information on the design, manufacture and costing of
metal cutting tool inserts.

If anyone could advise on where I might find, or who I might contact
for, information such as typical costs of making these tools, the
current state of the market, the types of development going on,
typical wear rates/life-expectencies, etc I'd be very grateful.

So far contacting the manufacturers directly has been exceedingly
slow, and the information I've received back from those who have
responded has either been very formulaic or seemingly quite biased.
Consequently I'd be interested in hearing informed-but-neutral
opinions in this area.

Many thanks,

Callum

It may be that you're asking for proprietary information, Callum. It's a
secretive business, in which a design, testing, or manufacturing secret can
mean the difference between success and failure in the marketplace. I wrote
a tooling column for a national magazine for some years, so I've encountered
the no-go zone from time to time.

If I may ask, what is the purpose of your inquiry? That may have an
influence on what information you can get.

Ed Huntress