Mike

"gary watson" wrote in message
Surely if he's the buyer then caveo is correct ? Then again Latin

was
never my strong point ever since my Latin master dropped dead after
our second lesson and the school never replaced him.

It's a long time since I did any latin...

(the) buyer, (let him) beware.

So 3rd person.

"the buyer, let me beware" wouldn't be right.

"Let me, the buyer, beware" was what I was thinking of.

Yes - that sounds better. I did wonder if "emptor" needed a different
declension until I realised that it's missing its declension
ending altogether (emptor-is)!! I only did latin for a year - can anyone
with a "proper educashun" explain that?

I agree, or possibly "I, the buyer, should (or ought to) beware".

Yes - far better. I seem to recall 'me' as I used it is rare in Latin .

On a not at all tangential note, this is a DIY group isn't it ?

Doesn't mean we can't have a good inta-lek-tulle discussion about dead
languages, does it ? :-)
Might come in handy when the EU decides Latin is the best common denominator
language for a set of European building regs ;-)