Rob

John Kelly wrote:

I've done a search on google groups and can't find an answer so....

I want to use some real wood flooring - the type that fits together
like laminate but is solid wood so can be sanded and varnished.
Anyone used some? Does it need a 10mm expansion gap around the
room or can it be fitted snug to the walls?

I used Bruce Coastal Woodlands 10mm thick boards with a 2mm hardwood
top layer, which can be sanded and re-finished in future if necessary.
The glued T&G installation was tedious because it needed a lot of
hammering to get tight joints - in fact the plastic tapping block was
wrecked by the time I was half way through, and it was easy to bruise
the edges once the block was worn. End board joints are still visible
to me, but everyone who sees it says how good the finished job looks.
I'm not sure I'd use it again, but maybe the problem's peculiar to
Bruce boards. I took the skirtings off and refitted them over the
expansion gap, by the way.

Rob