Tony Eva

John Kelly wrote:
I want to use some real wood flooring - the type that fits together like
laminate but is solid wood so can be sanded and varnished. Anyone used
some?

Yes, I'm in the process of laying some in four rooms.

Does it need a 10mm expansion gap around the room or can it be
fitted snug to the walls?

10mm expansion gap, just like laminate. You'll need to remove skirting,
fit floor with expansion gap, and refit skirting for best results.

Oh, and if you haven't already chosen the flooring, I can highly
recommend getting the interlocking variety (e.g. Kahrs). Being a
cheapskate, I chose some plain tongue and grooved boards that need to be
glued, and while it's not a major job, it's certainly a lot slower to
lay them...

--
Tony