Andrew Mawson

Default Andura Coatings? Need to do something about pebbledash...

"Fitz" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone had any experience of Andura Coatings. They appear to be a
company who provide a range of products for coating the exterior of
buildings. They have a website : http://www.andura.com/ but work
through agents, who are assigned sole control of geographical regions.

The reason I ask is because we need to do something about the
pebbledash on our house (30's semi) at some point this year. It
covers the top half (maybe a little less) of the house and appears to
be basically sound with some small cracks and the sort of wear you'd
expect from the weather over a number of years.

megasnip

thanks for any advice or opinions.

--

Steve F

Steve,

Has the same problem with the rear of my Edwardian house. it was all
pebbledashed and in places had been patched where doors & windows had been
altered - looked a mess and was threadbare in places - other parts were away
from key (tap test).

I had an Andura agent hack off all the loose pebbledash last summer, match
in with new then spray with the high build coating. There were a few issues
with the company over the 'matching in of new to old' which resulted in me
reducing their payment but the actual coating seems very good. I was most
impressed with a sample sprayed onto a thin bit of plastic - I bent it
double but the coating stayed intact.

In summary I think the breathable coating is very good if on a sound under
surface, but will be useless if the base is compromised.

My alternative (which would have been much cheaper) was to have it
re-pebbledashed, but I don't like the look of dashing and this coat
shouldn't need re-painting for 15 years or so.

I suggest that you ask for reference houses in your area and speak to the
owners - I did with three and they were all happy with the results after
several years. Fortunately the neighbour of one of my friends had had it
done so I could also get an 'un-refered' comment as well.

Andrew Mawson