BigWallop

"Alan" wrote in message

What type camera are you using? Is the CAT5 buried in the ground? Is

snipped

One of these at each end of the CAT cable should be enough:

http://www.tait-components.com/Produ... Cctv&iPage=1

Camera not purchased yet but will only be security type, not broadcast
quality. From memory CAT5 is good quality with tight wrap, will check.

There
are no mains cables along the run, which is probably ony 30m.

That device looks ideal for the job. Thanks for the link.

Alan.

How are you thinking of powering the camera?

As long as you have a signal of 1 Volts peak to peak on the video output
from the camera, which is the normal signal threshold on this type of
camera, you will be able to send video over an unshielded twisted pair (UTP)
or CAT5 cable without any decay, as long as you keep the signal on one pair
only. The device on the link is just an easy adaptor between standard BNC
and RJ45 connectors.

We do these systems nearly every day and to save us using miles of separate
coaxial cables to remote positions on site, we use a single multi-core
unshielded twisted pair cable to one central hub point, then distribute
coaxial to the individual cameras from there. We have had UTP cable runs up
to 500 - 600 mtrs without problems using a powered hub as a simple amplifier
to keep the signals along the UTP to the receiver end at the 1 Volts peak to
peak limit.