Asimov

"dkuhajda" bravely wrote to "All" (09 Dec 04 19:20:11)
--- on the heady topic of " Sony KV27S15 weak CRT"

dk Subject: Sony KV27S15 weak CRT
dk From: dkuhajda

dk Jumping the heater resistor on that set can cause immediate failure of
dk the heater on startup due to the excessive inrush of current.

The heater filaments are rather tough. In fact the CRT is evacuated by
running the filament white hot and igniting the "getter" which removes
any remaining gas the vacuum pump didn't. For example a 6 volt crt
filament is designed to be run at well over 10 volts for that purpose.
The resistors are there to protect the flyback output from the surge
not the filament.

dk Perhaps simply taking its value down by 1/2 would not be so bad as the
dk resistor will still limit the inrush current somewhat.

Okay, it is wise but as explained it may not be needed.

dk The G2 increase is usually the best bet. If you know exactly what you

Increasing G2 won't help if the emission is too low. The picture will
be brighter but it will "posterize" due to the video limiting. It's
okay if all you watch are cartoons, though. ;-)

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... I ran Doublespace on my monitor & get 2 more TV channels.