stu_e

Sealed lead acid batteries recommend a charge voltage from
2.25-2.33volts/cell. This works out at the top end at 14.0v and should be
ok. Batteries typically last about 3 years based on the frequency of
discharges, the duration of discharge and the ambient temperature. The best
thing you can do is make sure the battery/UPS is kept at 77 degrees F.

The diode option will not work because it is directional and the battery
needs to work in both directions (charging when utility is present and
discharge when the UPS is on battery).

"Browntimdc" wrote in message
"stu" wrote in
:

Put all this in brackets and label "l think". l am sure someone will
yell at me if l have it wrong.
Dpends on how "smart" the charger is, if it is just a float charger
and doesn't monitor the battery voltage and you wanted to drop the
float voltage to about 13.2V a diode in the charge cable will do it.
there are different sorts of diodes that will give you a lower voltage
drops. but the "normal" diode is about 0.8V drop(l think)

just an idea
don't be afraid to yell at me if l am wrong.

You're right. In the past I have put a diode in series with a charger and
readjusted the float to compensate for the drop. This was to prevent the
charger from draining the battery during a power failure.

Tim