Andrew

Default Moving BT master socket, is this frowned upon?

(Zymurgy) wrote in message . com...
Andy Hall wrote
PoP wrote:
Jason Arthurs wrote:

My server currently runs in the loft
I am curious!

I would have thought that running any sort of equipment in the loft is
asking for trouble. Reason being that the temperature up there can go
outside the specs of the equipment. It gets damned cold up there in
winter and sweating hot in the summer.

If you don't take any steps to control the temperature then it could be.

Methinks you worry too much.

Any decent kit (i.e something that's not been cobbled up in a 3rd
party case) has a wide operating temperature, and it is the rate of
change of the ambient temperature that causes an issue,
not the actual maximum or minimum temperatures.

That's rubbish. Electronic equipment can and does fail when operated
outside of its specified temperature range. The spec for any piece of
equipment is a worst case figure and you may well be able to operate a
particular example well outside that spec but there will be a limit at
both high and low temperature.

My firewall (Compaq Pentium 2) is in the loft with no special
insulation around it, and the projected low for tonight is -4.

The low temperatures we get in this country (even left outside) would
not generally be a problem for most electronic equipment if left
powered up to keep it warm.

I have had computer room air conditioning failures causing a very
steep step change in temperature (up to ~32 degrees C in 1 case) I had
3 disk failures out of an installed base of ~600 and 1 machine auto
shut down due to overtemperature out of 200 (and this was found to be
too close to adjacent kit).

So? The air con failed and the ambient temperature became too high. It
has nothing to do with rate of change. Even if you had raised the
temperature over the space of a week you would have seen the same
failures.

Similarly I have seen machines operate at either end of their
envelopes [1] without incident.

That's what they're designed to do. Take them outside their envelope
and they *will* fail eventually.

Andrew