Charlie Self

Kruppt responds:

Yes it is real sycamore. The locals here call it sycamore maple.
I did a search, and the sycamore maple pics I saw, do not resemble it at all.

This tree is a real sycamore, sorry for the confusion.

snip

Here this tree is very
abundant, as it is very wet here, it is considered a "trash tree"
by most here. If I had known the grain looked as it does,
I would have salavaged many of these trees in the past,
and will do so in the future. A neighbor cut down a very
large one, and left the main section of the tree on the ground to
rot away. The trunk is something like 4' diameter.

http://www.sustainablelumber.com/eba...12-11Gsyc2.jpg

Sycamore is abundant here, too. Your pic looks like what I've got in the shop,
except for the color. On my monitor, the color came up with a lot of yellow,
which is not sycamore's shade. As I said, silvery white to tan, often in the
same board width, in quartersawn lumber.

I hope you had yours quartersawn, as sycamore moves a lot when flat sawn.

Charlie Self
"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain