willshak

On 12/12/2004 10:35 AM US(ET), The Guy took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

Hi,

Does anyone have tips on balancing a one piece (non-sectional,
non-rollup) wooden garage door (2-car garage). I'm replacing all four
springs, and putting in a new Genie screw drive opener (last one lasted
26 yrs!) I've always been under the impression that if the door holds
stationary when the bottom of the door is about a foot or two off the
ground that the door is balanced...is this true?

Should the spring tension be increased if the door does not hold
stationary...or decreased?

I'll post a summary if I get enough response.

TIA

Someone posted some rule of thumb here recently. It applied to a roll up
sectional door, but it may be the same for your application. I'll
paraphrase since I don't remember it word for word.
When the door is hand lifted 1/3 of the way up and let go, it should
close by itself. When the door is lifted 2/3rds of the way up and let
go, the door should continue to roll to its fully open position. Adjust
the springs as necessary to get both results.