Ed Bailen

Default Modern Paint, Old Paint Gun?

I had a painting project this weekend, so I decided I'd fire up my
father's old Craftsman bleeder-style paint gun for the first time. It
worked well enough with the shellac-based primer (unthinned), but I
didn't even try to spray the Glidden Alkyd/Oil Enamel. The enamel was
only a little less viscous than molasses, and the instructions on the
can said "Do not thin." I figure I probably would have had to cut it
about 25 to 30% to get it spraying consistancy.

I know my father used the gun to spray enamels back in the 50's.

Should I ignore the instructions on the paint can and thin it to
spraying viscocity, or should I have faith that it will spray at it's
original viscocity? I do have a viscocity cup, and it looked like the
full-strength enamel was going to take 5 or 10 minutes to drain out of
the cup instead of 25 seconds.

Thanks,
Ed