Brett A. Thomas

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 11:40:38 -0800, Brett A. Thomas wrote:
I can't see the e-stop switches adding much cost, even if you run conduit
from them back to the contactor (we call 'em relays). It's easy but
time-consuming work, so it's worth considering doing yourself if you
can get an Electrician to do the design and advise you.

Dave,

Thanks for the info so far, this has helped a lot.

I'm planning on doing it myself, which is part of why I'm really trying
to understand the components.

So, it sounds like what I want is an "emergency stop" button, but the
key thing I needed to know is that it's connected to a "contactor." I
get a big red button, say, one of these beauties:

http://www.recycledgoods.com/Product...roductID=12196

And hook it to a "contact block," which then runs (24 V?) back to a
relay at the subpanel which causes the shutoff. Is that correct, and,
are there any other special terms that would be helpful in searching for
suppliers?

Thanks again. Oh, and for those searching Usenet archives in the futu

Big Red Button = Emergency Stop button hooked to a contact block or
contactor. You might also be looking for a relay, emergency switch or a
switch.

If someone had done that ten years ago I wouldn't be bugging you folks,
now.

-BAT