Gizmofiddler

This is very good advice!
The same goes for a new automobile. I am still driving my 1987 Nissan
Pathfinder with 348,000 miles on it. Runs great - had regular oil changes
every couple thousand miles. The first oil change at 100 miles is the
critical one. It washes out all the little metal particles that occur during
the break-in period.
Why should a small engine be any different??

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 17:59:45 -0500, Taylor
wrote:

I purchased my lawn mower (6.5 hp B&S engine) new in September. I
only needed to use a few short times to mow the front yard before
the first freeze came. Since the engine has hardly been used
much I was contemplating skipping the first seasonal oil change
this fall. Will this be ok for the engine? I like to keep the
oil clean but it seem silly to change it so soon.

I will run the gas tank dry as soon as I can get a decent day to
do it here.

Thanks!

After 2-3 hours of running a new mower engine it is good to change the
oil. It should be dirty from the break-in. The first oil change will
extend the life of your engine. Your owner's manual provides
recommendations?