jim rozen

In article , Tom says...

But the ram is not worn. It has constant diameter over its
whole length.

Perhaps the implications of increasing the tailstock ram diameter
by plating slipped by? Common practice would be to rectify the
tailstock housing and plate & grind the ram to suit.

The hard part is repairing any out-of-round condtion in the
bore of the casting, IF there is any.

Because this has yet to be measured, I have to withhold any
other suggestions.

But to reply to your point, I guess I would fabricate an new
ram from scratch, rather than chrome the old one.

Jim

please reply to: