Jeff Wisnia

SteveF wrote:
In full compliance with Murphy's Law I just tried to unscrew a brass (might
be bronze - how do you tell?) shaft from a tripod and twisted the top third
off. My options look like either 1 - make a new piece from scratch, or
2 - hold the top and bottom tightly together (very clean break, about 3/8"
diameter contact area) and zap it with a spot welder.

Option 2 is much less work. Any comments on whether this would work?

Thanks.
Steve.

Ditto on spot welding being a long run for a short slide...

I can't see the piece, but can you drill into the broken ends of both
halves with a 3/16" drill about 3/8" deep, make a 3/4" longn steel pin
"splint" and silver solder the whole thing together?

That ought to be plenty strong for that kind of application. Might even
be good enough just silver soldered without the splint.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia