Speedy Jim

Hello,
Recently inspecting my gas furnace I noticed water leaking out of the
condensate pump. So I pulled it out to figure out what is going on.
Here is what I found: The unit runs when empty but will not run when
water is added. I put it in the sink, turned it on (with no water in
it and it started running), I turned the tap on and started filling it
with water. It ran and did pump water out until it filled up to a
certain point then the pump stopped. It then overfilled and started
pouring water out of the fill hole.

Now I am no handy man. In fact I know very little about anything
having to do with my house (except the things I've learned since owning
a house these last 6 months) but does this pump seem like it is working
backwards? Shouldn't it pump with water in it and then stop when most
has been removed? Any ideas? There is a float switch and I reversed
the wires but that changed nothing. Ideas anyone.
Thank you for any suggestions.

Some of those pumps have a second switch or extra switch contact
which will sound an alarm (or other function) if the reservoir
overfills. Sounds to me like this pump was mis-wired (at the factory?).

Jim