meirman

In alt.home.repair on Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:59:30 -0800 "Mike Rocket J.
Squirrel Elliott"
et posted:

On 12/11/2004 10:10 AM Greg O wrote:

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
et wrote in message

Maybe I am missing something. Here's the goal:

WEEK 1 Program: M-F heat house by 6 am. Weekend, do nothing.
WEEK 2 Program: M-F heat house by 7:30 am. Weekend, do nothing.
Then alternate Week 1 and Week 2 programs.

I don't see enough differance to bother with it. Just run your week 1
program all the time.
Greg

Heat the house for an hour and a half extra in the morning? Easy for
/you/ to say! I am a light sleeper and easily woken up in the morning --

I agree with you. You wouldn't have asked the question in the first
place if you were satisfied with one set of times.

something I wish didn't happen. I envy folks who can slumber on and on
in the morning, undisturbed by helicopters and cannon fire. Unlike me -
the sound of the furnace firing up wakes me, AND a house warm enough for
wandering around in, wearing pajamas is too warm (to me) for sleeping.

But I still want to comment on this. One of the reasons we are the
mercy of OPEC and other oil producing countries is that most of us
these days are willing to heat the house to where it is comfortable
just wearing pajamas. Why in the movies from the 50's and before, and
maybe after, do the characters put their robe on as soon as they get
up. It's not just modesty, especially when they are the only one who
is living there. It's because it was normal to wear a robe to keep
warm.

It was normal, in the winter, for people, when they weren't wearing
pajamas and robes, to wear sweaters in their homes over their shirts.

That way the thermostat could easily be kept at 68, and even lower.

And it's not just the oil crisis and the way this dominates our
foreigh policy (in the USA). It's that so many people, not
necessarily you or anyone here, talk about how hard it is to make ends
meet these days when many of them are spending much more money on
things people lived without 50, 40, 30, and even 20 years ago.

There are more broadcast TV stations than ever but I met someone a
couple weeks ago who hasn't been able to pay all her bills but is
still paying 75 dollars a month for cable. That's 900 dollars a year.
And my friend tells me most people pay a lot more. Etc. Blah, blah,
blah.

--

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether