meirman

In alt.home.repair on Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:41:52 -0800 "Mike Rocket J.
Squirrel Elliott"
et posted:

As a dad who has 50% custody of his two kids -- one week on, one week
off -- I find myself wishing someone made a programmable thermostat that
could preheat the house at 5:30 am during the weekday mornings I get up
early so I can drive the kids to school; yet was polite enough to
preheat an hour later on the weeks I don't have the kids. I get to sleep
in longer those weeks. Every thermostat I've looked at so far has a
7-day program. I asked the kid at Home Depot about it and he went to ask
the manager and I've not seen him since.

Buy a second thermostat and a double throw multi?-pole switch so you
can switch from one to the other easily.

Don't disconnect the positive or ground when you do the switching, so
that the clock will stay accurate (and it won't run down the back-up
battery, iiuc).

Maybe you only have to switch one or two wires, the one(s) that
actually tell the furnace and AC when to turn on and off.

I have a different but related question. Twenty years ago, when I
first looked for a setback thermostat, I think I found one with a NEXT
button. But now I can't find one. Does anyone know a make and model
like what I want:

That would solve everything for me. I'd set it for one good temp for
when I was sleeping or away, and one good temp for when I was home and
awake. If I came home earlier than normal, I'd push NEXT and it would
go to the "next" temperature in the cycle. It would go early, and it
would stay there until the end time of the next stage. (The end of
the current stage (when I got home) would have no effect because when
I pressed NEXT, I moved it to the Next stage. If I went to bed early
or got up early, I'd do the same thing. It wouldn't affect the timing
for the rest of the day, I wouldn't have to adjust temperatures one
degree at a time, and I wouldn't have to remember what to do when.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.