Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Mac, yes we all do those things, nothing wrong with it if it works
for you, and like George says keep it off the vibrating machine , be it
lathe, grinder, sander, saw or whatever else, the super hot filaments
don't take kindly to the shaking G that is going on, I've a couple of
quarts spot lights on either side of my lathe, but I block the light
very often with body or arm or just the depth of the turning will not
let the light get there where I need it, for that I have one of those
pivoting desk lamp with the elbow/wrist kind of hinge points, and made a
couple of bracket/hole dohickys (so that I can place the light in the
best possible positioning), on the shelf and wall next to my lathe, even
then I would like a better way at times, I have been looking for a
inexpensive Light Emitting Diode (LED) that gives enough light and which
I would be able to attach and remove from my cutting tool easily, have
not made up my mind how or what, but I hope to find a better lighting
solution to the problem of not able to see what I want.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

mac davis wrote:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 08:08:29 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:

I found that mounting the lamps to the stand shortened their bulb life, so
my swing arm floods are now mounted off the stand and burning longer.

I like to blame the stroboscopic effect for the barked knuckles I get
sometimes when cutting interrupted-edge bowls.

ok.. admission to tackiness time:
I was turning a pencil holder for my wife last night and felt like I
was drilling a mine shaft in the dark, once I got down a few inches.
(shoulda drilled it first, I guess)

I got my handy-dandy HF fluorescent trouble light out and hung it on
an adjustable height roller stand behind me...

It worked great, was very adjustable and CHEAP.. lol
(note to self: if ever doing serious turning on a shopsmith, put the
sucker up on blocks!)