Tim Killian

I've tacked aluminum sheet using a 220V Miller spot welder. Copper might
be a problem though because the tips on the welder are made of it!

Grant Erwin wrote:

SteveF wrote:

In full compliance with Murphy's Law I just tried to unscrew a brass
(might be bronze - how do you tell?) shaft from a tripod and twisted
the top third off. My options look like either 1 - make a new piece
from scratch, or 2 - hold the top and bottom tightly together (very
clean break, about 3/8" diameter contact area) and zap it with a spot
welder.

Option 2 is much less work. Any comments on whether this would work?

Thanks.
Steve.

Spotwelding any copper compound is going to be real real tough unless
you have a truly monumental spotwelder. Even aluminum requires a machine
that costs like $50k.

I'm just learning about spotwelding is why I'm shooting off my bazoo
about it lately.

GWE