Speedy Jim

Jeff wrote:
The pressure switch is tripping at the appropriate times (or at least
consistent with the gage), it has settings for both cut in and cut out
pressure and I see the switch pop at the appropriate pressures. That said,
it is as if there is something else in the equation. I'm assuming the pump
is what pressurizes the tank... and even though the cut in is activated the
pump doesn't immediately activate. It seems the pump tries to cut on about
every minute. Most of the time, I see just an instaneous boost in pressure,
but every once in while it catches, I hear the water flowing and the
pressure tank pumps up to the cut off pressure (just over 70 psi). So I
have water periodically, as long as I don't use copious amounts at one time.

SNIP replies

That is a *very* deep well and the pump has a lot of head pressure
to work against at startup. Sounds to me like the motor is having
trouble developing enough starting torque; thus the repeated start
attempts.

Try setting the pressure switch to a dramatically lower pressure,
like 20/40. If the pump now works normally, the pump performance
is marginal. (This is just an experiment to gather info.)

Is the pump too small? Wrong impeller config? Bad start capacitor?
Bad motor? I'm not enough of an expert to answer that...

Jim