Bubba

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:38:34 -0500, "RBM"
wrote:

Kyle, I see you got some really useful replies!!! The very last thing you
need is cracked pvc. The heat tape has a built in thermostat so its only on
when it is below freezing, plus it low wattage, and will cost a lot less
than running a pump all winter. also Gizmo's are great little devices for
preventing ice expansion inside the skimmer,but if the water isn't lowered
below the skimmers' plastic faceplate inside the pool,you risk the
possibility of ice expansion ripping it off
"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
Our pool has a design flaw (or maybe not, I've never paid much attention
to how other pools are done)..

Where the main drain line exits the ground and goes into the pump area,
there is a 4' or 6' length of PVC pipe that is exposed, and can't be
drained without draining the entire pool. The question is: How to freeze
protect this piece of pipe? Thermostat regulated heat tape and some wrap
on insulation? Build a box around it with a lightbulb inside? Maybe one
of those 1,000 watt ceramic heaters with a thermostat?

I'm in Atlanta, and our winters usually have a few days (or nights) of
sub-20 weather, with a rare plunge below 10, and the very rare plunge
below 0.

Suggestions appreciated.

Interesting. Like I say, Ive had a inground for 10 yrs. Never lowered
the water level. Ice hard enough in the winter you can walk on top of
the pool. I have a vinyl liner, deep well diving area and a plastic
skimmer faceplate. NEVER once replaced anything that cracked. I guess
that blows your theory to hell and back. Although heat tape can also
be a solution, Id just as soon not use it if its not necessary. Nope,
I dont run a pump all winter either. The pump comes inside in the
winter. Its obvious you dont have a pool nor know what you are talking
about. Nice suggestion. Wanna buy a bridge?
Bubba