Kyle Boatright

"Bubba" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 14:41:00 -0500, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

"RBM" wrote in message
If what you say is correct, the pump has to be located lower than the
bottom of the pool. In any event, if you can't drain it or blow the
water
out of the line, or use pool antifreeze, use a low wattage heat tape on
the pipe and insulate around it. That would be the least costly solution

Right you are... The pump is 5' lower than the full level on the pool, and
3
1/2 feet lower than the pool's winter level (below the skimmer)...

Like you, my gut tells me that the heat tape is the best option.

Thanks,

KB

Just curious. Why do you have a winter level that is below the
skimmer? I have an inground pool (10 yrs now) and never drain the
water in the winter below the skimmer. Same level in the winter as in
the summer. 20's, 10's and single digit temps are normal in the winter
here. I use a "Gizmo" in the skimmer. Its plastic. When the water
freezes it "crushes" the "Gizmo" instead of expanding out the walls of
the skimmer. When the temps warm, the "Gizmo" goes back to its normal
shape. No sense in dumping a 1000 gallons of water or more when you
dont need to.
Bubba

In my installation, I need to drain the water level below the skimmers to
blow out the pipes that pull water out of the skimmer. If I don't do that,
it leaves me with another exposed 5' of pipe that needs freeze protection.

KB