Kyle Boatright

Default Pool Line Freeze Protection

Our pool has a design flaw (or maybe not, I've never paid much attention to
how other pools are done)..

Where the main drain line exits the ground and goes into the pump area,
there is a 4' or 6' length of PVC pipe that is exposed, and can't be drained
without draining the entire pool. The question is: How to freeze protect
this piece of pipe? Thermostat regulated heat tape and some wrap on
insulation? Build a box around it with a lightbulb inside? Maybe one of
those 1,000 watt ceramic heaters with a thermostat?

I'm in Atlanta, and our winters usually have a few days (or nights) of
sub-20 weather, with a rare plunge below 10, and the very rare plunge below
0.

Suggestions appreciated.