Jeff Wisnia

Larry Jaques wrote:

I recently replaced one of the two dead Ryobi 14.4v batt packs which
several years of abuse before dying on me. It appears that just a few
of the dozen cells in each pack have gone bye-bye. I'd like to rebuild
one from the dregs of the other and wondered what you guys used to
spotweld the cells together. I've heard that they don't like to be
soldered _at_all_.

Who here has rebuilt packs and how did you attach the cells?

TIA.

Like peace and quiet? Buy a phoneless cord.
http://www/diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online

I usually buy cells with solder tabs already spot welded on them, but in
a pinch I've used silver bearing conductive epoxy with excellent
results. The stuff isn't cheap, but a little goes a long way, and you
can store it forever in the kitchen freezer.

I've never felt good about soldering directly to battery cells except
for the old LeClanche carbon-zinc ones, back in the days when most of
the commercially available (greater than 1.5 volt) dry cell batteries
had their individual cells connected together by bare wire soldered to
the zinc cans and brass carbon rod contacts.

Happy Holidays,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia