william_b_noble

incadescents are horribly less efficicient than flourescents - for 160 watts
(two 8 ft tubes) you get a lot more light than a box full of 60 watt
incadescents and a lot less heat too - you probably want both, the
incadescent for spot lighting and directional lighting of your work when you
need it, and the fluorescents for general shop lighting. I know I use
both...

"Maxprop" wrote in message
t...

"Phisherman" wrote in message

Incandescent is best for task lighting. I use a cheap drafting lamp
and built my own wooden base screwed into the wall. I can position
the lamp exactly where I need it. I did the same setup for my router
table, drill press, and chop saw. A fluorescent lamp is tiring to
the eyes and could produce annoying strobe patterns, although I use
fluorescent for general shop lighting.

Second that. I bought two, relatively inexpensive machinist's lamps
(magnetic base, flexible arm, metal reflector shade) and put one on the
headstock and one on the ways when turning a bowl. They produce plenty of
light and are positionable.

Max