DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Anthony wrote:
For those who may be interested, I posted this several days ago, but
someone made me realize the topic I chose was probably killfiled by a
majority.

I saw it, but decided not to reply.

I have set up a channel on my IRC server for the users (posters and
lurkers alike) of RCM. IRC is internet relay chat, a live-chat medium.
This allows instant communication between people all over the world. IRC
is one of the most popular chat mediums, having many millions of users,
hundreds of networks, and thousands of servers.

I have always opted to never run an IRC client (let alone a
server) on any of my systems. They were not written with security in
mind, and it is too easy for trojans to be uploaded and activated by
them.

Besides -- if I understand the operation of IRC properly, it is
a real-time medium. I need to be awake and logged in at the same time
as whoever else I am chatting with (like the unix "talk" program, which
I also did not like when I used it).

I far prefer being able to hold a discussion in non-real-time,
as I keep strange hours, and there are people all over the world in this
newsgroup (and thus, presumably in your IRC channel, if it takes off as
you desire.) The real-time nature of an IRC chanel would limit who
could take part in any given discussion.

Also -- this newsgroup is automatically archived, and can be
consulted months or years later (through the proper systems). Does this
apply to what you offer?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564