Paul Franklin

On 10 Dec 2004 05:22:13 GMT, (PaNjDeFemale)
wrote:

Paul, guess what's to our southwest?????!!! Next door neighbor's HUGE sycamore
tree! Leaves are up to 14" across and many end up in our yard due to
mysterious wind gusts isolated on our property. Maybe this will all be moot
for now as we're moving in about 6 months. We have comcast and doubt we could
get a deal like yours. Where are you from, BTW? We tried to get digital on
one TV set, a very basic Sylvania VCR combo and they couldn't connect digital
to it. We have a newer TV now but the others are all older and maybe none are
compatible with digital. So we do have many questions for the dish companies.
Thanks for your reply. Sherry

Sherry,

I'm in Northern OH. (Adelphia--much maligned, but other than a few
glitches when they started up in the area, I've no complaints) Tree
may be a problem, but often there is a spot on the house that has a
clear enough view to work; the installer can check your site ahead of
time. (I hate those wind gusts that only ever seem to blow leaves
*onto* your property!)

Digital cable usually requires a STB (set top box) or a cable DVR/PVR
(digital/personal video recorder) for anything other than the basic
cable channels. They generally have both video and RF outputs so they
should connect to any TV except the few units that have no antenna or
video connection at all. And the dish won't be able to connect to
them either.

Regardless of which you go with, I highly recommend (as have others)
the DVR/PVR. It completely changes the way you watch TV, and for the
better. The ones supplied by my cable company allow you to record two
different shows while watching another prerecorded show, or watch one
show while recording another. I think the units provided by the dish
companies have similar capabilities. Good luck with your choice. Paul