DoN. Nichols

In article , nic "user wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is the size of the fluorescent
bulb. I have found that the higher wattage bulbs can be
larger than the "equivalent wattage" incandescent. I have
had them be either too long or too large in diameter to fit
some reflectors or cages. And they don't drop too well when
they're in contact with the cage!!!
I've found that they work well in my swing arm lamp on the
drill press and mill.
By the way, does anyone know if the bulb type florescence
will create a strobing effect like the old ballast and tube
types do?

The ones which I have taken apart (after failure) have a printed
circuit board hosting a high frequency inverter to ionize them, instead
of depending on filaments to start the ionization. So -- the variation
in ionization will probably be too fast to show up relative to the decay
time of the phosphor.

But the thing to do, for any given lamp. is to test it. A
variable speed drill motor with a Jacobs style keyed chuck should
suffice. Vary the speed and watch for the pattern of the gear teeth
slowing down or standing still.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564