On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 16:16:54 -0800, John Ings
wrote:

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 23:48:42 GMT, wrote:

The Vincent is not a machine I'd recommend to anyone except as a
collectors item. Mr. Vincent didn't believe in things like frames and
putting even a Black Shadow hard over into a corner is a truly
religious experience -- do it and you will See Jesus! But they are
beautiful and for their day they were tremendously fast bikes.

My friend who advanced the 'cylinder firing every 50 feet' calculation
that John Martin didn't buy (perhaps it was hyperbole) also recounted
the following story.

A Vincent owner allowed a friend to take his Vincent out for a couple
of laps around the track. "Be careful," he cautioned, "it corners like
it's got a hinge in the middle!"

The friend returned after one lap to report, "That's not a hinge,
it's a balljoint!"

Your friend was probably closer to the truth. In a Vincent the forks
bolt to the oil tank under the gas tank. The oil tank in turn is
bolted to the engine. The engine is bolted to the rear wheel and the
rear wheel is also attached to the back of the oil tank by a couple of
shock absorber thingies.

Technically that may be a hinge, but it could sure move like a ball
joint.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent