willshak

On 12/10/2004 9:37 AM US(ET), Mark took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

"Janet" wrote in message ...

I have a fairly new Kenmore (Whirlpool) 20.6cuft refrigerator, Model
64252. I know that newer energy efficient refrigerators can make
strange sounds, but I'm concerned about mine.

During the first few minutes after the compressor cycles on, there are
sometimes strange sounds ,almost like scraping, in addition to the
normal refrigerant sounds. Is this normal? It doesn't happen all the
time but it does happen fairly often.

That's got to be a Kenmore feature. I'm extremely unhappy with my 4 year old
one. Every single cycle it makes scraping and vibrating sounds at startup.

It's gotten to the point that I'll get up and go kick the damn thing rather
than waiting 30 seconds for the noises to stop. This works about 1/2 the
time.

I've had soooo many problem with Sears appliances that this is the last one.
I'll never buy another major appliance from them.

I'm planning to replace this fridge after the new year on the first sale I see
(excluding Sears).

Make sure that it is not from the same manufacturer as your Kenmore.
Sears does not manufacture their own appliances (or much of anything
else). They just have the GE, Frigidaire, Whirlpool, or other
manufacturer, put a Sears/Kenmore/Craftsman name on them.
My Kenmore side by side refrigerator/freezer is made by GE. If I want to
know if it is running, I have to put my ear near it or feel it for
vibration. It is 9 years old.