Gunner

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 01:18:49 -0800, "Michael"
wrote:

Gunner wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 16:58:53 -0500, "Kathy"

snipped a very reasoned response

Very, very well stated, Gunner. We have all (vets), been there, done that.
In VN, for example, the air support couldn't combat the NVA if they dug in
well, and were spread out. The big stuff just couldn't dig them out. Along
comes *fu gas*. If I remember, it was JP4 liquefied with something to make
it like jello. We would pick up a sling load of this stuff in 55 gal
barrels, go to an entrenched enemy area, and drop it from 100 feet. The door
gunner would drop a smoke grenade on top to ignite, and the enemy would stop
shooting at us forever. I dropped a bunch of this stuff in the DMZ area
around Quan Tri, and would even hover to get the best drop. A few rounds
through the helo didn't stop us at all...Actually, I made a couple of double
drops when that happened...

Ever carry a case or two of regular glass water glasses? Stick a
grenade in the glass, pull the pin and drop it.

If you were higher than the 5 second delay, it didnt count until it
hit the ground and broke the glass, and would generally make it down
through triple canopy.

Sure helped out if the poor *******s on the ground were asshole deep
in Mr. Charles and needed some air support but tac air was too far
out.

Geeze... I guess the Korean war didnt teach us that particular trick
so we could spend several hundred million dollars developing the
aerial deployed foilage penetrating hand grenade Mark1 Mod 0.

Doesnt seem to be much call for that trick in this war.....not a lot
of saw grass or triple canopy in the Sandbox.......
But we sure should have spent the money!!!

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
before demode` (out of fashion).
-Buddy Jordan 2001