Gunner

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 03:42:17 GMT, "Searcher"
wrote:

I see this often and have no clue as to what it means

Thanks
Searcher1

When used on a newsgroup, its sort of a "Call for Gunner" or
whomever. A ping in computer nerd speak is a call by one computer
for another one to respond. Id'd by IP address usually. When the
computer being pinged gets the request, it sends a special reply back
to the first one. It also displays how long the exchange took and so
forth.

Open a dos window from your Windows control panel and from the C:
prompt, type ping 209.178.159.1

If Im still online when you do it, my computer, which is currently
using this IP address, will respond back to your ping request.

This sort of thing is very important when testing a home network, etc.

Pinging Searcher! on the subject line means someone wants to direct a
question, statement, request etc directly to another person.

A neat site to find your own current ip address...
http://www.lawrencegoetz.com/programs/ipinfo/

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
before demode` (out of fashion).
-Buddy Jordan 2001