SteveF

"Andy Asberry" wrote in message
On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 09:37:50 -0800, Eric R Snow
wrote:

I know this is stupid. But I ordered the plans already. To see what I
ordered try this link: http://cdp-backhoe.com/MID/backhoe.htm
The MID600 and thumb plans. Anyway, this is my plan:
First, scrounge for any parts and metal I can find over the next 9
months or so. While scrounging for parts disassemble the subaru
station wagon my son left here for the drive train components except
for the engine. Then, using the plans and any advice build the thing
onto some kind of frame that uses the subaru parts for mobility. The
power will come from an 18 hp wisconsin engine. The idea is to spin a
hydraulic pump with the engine and use the pump to power a hydraulic
motor connected to the drive train and to power the cylinders on the
backhoe. So, if ANYBODY has any ideas please feel free to post them.
Thanks,
Eric R Snow

You might go to a rental yard and look at a T5C Terramite. A 20 HP
backhoe/loader; all hydraulic. Maybe they will let you take some
measurements. Perhaps you should rent one for a day and see if it will
do the job you have in mind. Mostly made of standard dimension tubing.

I rented one once to dig a shallow trench. I got it because a trencher
would not dig a wide enough trench. Trust me, it is not much of a
backhoe.

Second that on "not much of a backhoe". I rented a T5C on a couple of
occasions to do some work around my place and it takes some skill with the
controls to keep the front end on the ground and to not drag the whole thing
backwards when trying to take a scoop. The Allmand 325 I bought is only 5
HP more but is almost twice as heavy. And as soon as my wife wins the
lottery the 325 is getting sold for a nice shiny new Kubota L48!

Steve.